Unwanted 21 Daily Contraceptive Pill
Unwanted 21 days is an effective and reversible oral contraceptive for women who want to delay pregnancy or leave sufficient space for the next child.
This tablet is manufactured and marketed by Mankind Pharma Limited.
Unwanted 21 Days - FAQs
Unwanted 21 Days Tablets- Product Information
Pregnancy is bliss, no doubt. But unwanted pregnancy can derail your life making it an emotionally draining experience. You would be caught in the emotional turmoil of whether to keep or abort. The same applies to married couples. Most couples become pregnant within the first month of their marriage as they are not aware of contraceptives, particularly the oral contraceptives, which is almost an effortless way to keep pregnancy at bay.
Introducing Unwanted - 21 days Tab, an effective and reversible oral contraceptive for women who want to delay pregnancy or provide sufficient space for the next child. By reversible, we mean that she may be able to become pregnant after stopping the consumption of tablet.
Please keep in mind that taking oral contraceptives require meticulous planning and strong decision making. You need to follow a strict discipline with regard to consumption of the contraceptive to get desired results. You have to start the course only after consulting your gynaecologist.
How Unwanted 21 Days Tablet works?
Oral contraceptives are hormonal preparations that may contain combinations of the hormones estrogen and progestin or progestin alone. Estrogen and Progestin are two female sex hormones. Combinations of estrogen and progestin work by preventing ovulation (release of eggs from the ovaries). A woman cannot become pregnant if she is not ovulating as there would be no egg to be fertilized.
How to use Unwanted 21 Days Tablet?
- Unwanted 21 Days is an easy to use contraceptive tablet.
- It comes in a 21 tablet blister pack. You must start the first tablet on the first day of your periods or menses (also referred to as D1 by gynecologists).
- Take one tablet every day for 21 days and make sure you have it round about the same time for better results. That means, when you take the first table at night 10pm or morning 10am, you should stick to the same timing every day.
- Wait for 7 days after you finish the first strip. You will have had your menses during that time.
- Make sure to start the second pack on the 8th day and continue the process like previously.
- Please note that for the second pack and the packs thereafter, you are not required to wait for the first day of your menses. This is only applicable to the first ever pack that you take.
- It is always better to consult your gynaecologist and keep her in loop to update about any health during this period.
Unwanted 21 Days Tablet – Precautions to be followed
- Always ensure to take the tablet daily at exactly the same time. You fix up a convenient time for you every day and make it a point to consume the tablet exactly at the same time every day. Set a reminder on your mobile phone to ensure you don't miss out.
- Never miss any dose. If you have missed a tablet, take that as soon as you remember. You can take two tablets within 24 hours – in case if you have missed. But, never take more than two tablets within 24 hours.
- Always consult your gynaecologist if you have any doubt or don't know what to do after missing more than two days consecutively.
What is the price of Unwanted 21 Days Tablets?
The cost of unwanted 21 days Tablets (per strip of 21 pills) is MRP. Rs.50/-
What is its generic name and what does Unwanted 21 Days Pill contain?
The tablet contains Estrogen (Ethinyl Esstradiol) and Progestin (Levonogestrel).
The composition of the above two hormones per tablet are:
• Ethinyl Estradiol : 0.15 mg
• Levonorgestrel : 0.03 mg
Unwanted 21 is a hormonal contraceptive pill. Estrogen is responsible for the formation and occurrence of menstruation cycle. Levonorgestel is a hormone which stops the ovulation and prevents the release of eggs from the ovaries. The combination of these 2 hormones makes Unwanted 21 a very safe contraceptive.
What is Unwanted 21 Days Pill intended use?
This is a regular oral contraceptive pill. This can help a woman prevent unplanned or unwanted pregnancy. It is enough if she can consume one tablet per day.
How effective is Unwanted 21 tablet?
The tablet is very effective and proven to be a safe contraceptive option, if consumed regularly in proper cycle, as per the physician's advice.
Is Unwanted 21 Days a OTC product. Can I buy it directly from a pharmacy?
Yes. It is available as an over the counter (OTC) product. Doctors also prescribe this product to women who are looking to birth control. It is advisable to consult a doctor before taking this tablet.
What are the side effects of consuming Unwanted 21 days?
The following is a list of possible side-effects that may occur because of all constituting ingredients of Unwanted 21 Days tablet. This is not a comprehensive list.
The following side effects are possible, but do not always occur. Some of the commonly reported side-effects from the new users of this table include:
• Weight gain
• Mood swings
• Delayed menstruation
• Lower stomach pain
• Sudden bleeding/ spotting
• Pimples and acne
• Breast tenderness
• Water retention
It should be noted that all these symptoms are temporary and not all users will get the above side effects. The symptoms disappear overtime with regular use of these tablets.
However, in some cases the tablet can cause serious implications including
• Vomiting with weakness and nausea
• Unusual tiredness
• Severe headache and Anxiety
• Uterine hemorrhage
• Infections in uterus
• Excessive vaginal bleeding
• Gastro-intestinal cramps
• Cervical Erosion
• Cholestatic Jaundice
You may also get symptoms other than the list provided above. You should consult your doctor immediately if you come across any of the above symptoms after the use of
What is the recommended dosage of Unwanted 21 Days tablets?
Begin the first day of your menstrual cycle with 1 tablet per day. Then continue having one tablet each for the next 20 days followed by 7 days without any tablet.
If you want to use this contraceptive again, start the new strip from the 8th day of the last day you consumed Unwanted 21 days tablet. As the name suggests, the tablet should be taken 1 per day for 21 days starting from the first day of your menstrual cycle.
What are the precautions to be followed while taking this medicine?
Before taking Unwanted 21 Days tablet, inform your doctor about your current medications, allergies, current diseases and prevailing health conditions (pregnancy, planning surgery, breast feeding etc.,). Unwanted 21 may have adverse side effects to some of your health conditions.
You should not take this tablet if you have the following condition if:
- You are above 35 years
- you ever had a clot in your blood vessel or diagnosed with any blood circulation related problems in the past
- you are breast feeding or if you feel you may be pregnant
- you are a smoker, you should consult your doctor before taking this tablet. Ideally you should avoid smoking during tablet intake
- you have a breast lump or had breast cancer in the past
- you are suffering from high blood pressure
- you are a patient with depression
- you have gallstones or liver dysfunction
- you are undergoing treatment for cardiac problems, diabetic or migraine
- you ever had transient ischemic attack in the past
Please note that this tablet does not prevent the incidence and spread of sexually transmitted diseases.
I am pregnant, how safe it is to consume Unwanted 21 Days tablet?
The product is not safe for the fetus. It may interfere with your fetus's growth and pregnancy. Hence you should avoid taking this tablet when you are interested to pursue your pregnancy. You should consult your doctor before taking this medicine.
Can this tablet be sued for avoiding pregnancy for upto 3 years?
Yes. This tablet can be used to avoid and prevent pregnancy for upto 3 years. However, you are advised to consult your doctor before beginning to use the tablet for such a prolonged period. When you are planning to give 3 years space for your next pregnancy, consult your doctor first and don't self medicate Unwanted 21 yourself.
How Unwanted 21 Days tablet should be consumed - in empty stomach, before or after food?
Please follow your doctor's advice regarding when to take. But most users of Unwanted 21 Days have reported consuming the tablet before food.
Is Unwanted 21 Days Pill addictive or habit forming?
Government categorizes medicines that can be additive as controlled substances. Unwanted 21 Days is not categorized under addictive or habit forming.
Use the medicine as per your doctor's recommendation. Most medicines become habit forming when you begin to self medicate and consume regularly for your own satisfaction or physical
Can I stop this drug immediately or should I have to wean it off slowly?
Certain drugs cannot be stopped suddenly due to its side-effects. You don't decide on yourself. You need to consult your doctor depending on your specific health
I am looking to give space to my next pregnancy? I am breast feeding now. Is it safe to consume Unwanted 21 Days tablet?
No. Unwanted 21 Days can be unsafe to take when you are breast feeding or planning to breast feed. You should consult your doctor. You are advised not to self medicate and start the course yourself without consulting your doctor. This tablet is not recommended for lactating mothers in general.
What happens if children or infant consume Unwanted 21 Days Tablets accidentally?
This tablet is meant for adult women to be used as a contraceptive. It should be kept away from the reach of children. However, if a child accidentally consumes this tablet, rush him or her immediately to your doctor.
What is the difference between Unwanted 72 and Unwanted 21 Days tablets?
It is important to know the difference between the two. Unwanted 72 is an emergency contraceptive or a morning -after pill. This tablet is taken to avoid pregnancy within 72 hours of having unprotected sex.
Unwanted 21 Days is a regular contraceptive pill. This is taken to avoid unplanned pregnancy. This should be taken in proper cycle for 21 days. The tablet should be taken even on the days when you don’t have sexual intercourse.
What do I do, if I forgot to take a pill of Unwanted 21 on any one day?
If you forgot to take a pill, you should take it as soon as you remember. Follow the normal schedule from the very next day. Never use an extra dose to make up for a missed dose.
If you are missing doses regularly, set an alarm or ask your family member to remind you at the specific time. If you have missed too many doses lately,
consult your doctor to get a new dosage schedule.
How safe it is to drive or operate heavy machinery when consuming Unwanted 21 Days tablet?
If you experience drowsiness, dizziness or hypertension or headache as side effects when consuming this tablet, then you may avoid driving or working on heavy machinery.
It is better to consult your physician even if you don't get any of the above side-effects while consuming Unwanted 21 days. In general, it is advisable not to drive for long distance or handle heavy machinery or heavy physical work while consuming Unwanted 21 Days tablet.
How and where to store Unwanted 21 Days tablet?
- It should be stored at room temperature, away from heat and direct light.
- Do not refrigerate the tablet unless mentioned in the package.
- Keep the tablets away from children and pets. The medicines are not suitable for children.
- Do not flush the unused medicines down the toilet or thrown them into drainage as this may contaminate the environment. You may consult your doctor or pharmacist regarding safe disposal of unused Unwanted 21 Days tablet.
Can Unwanted 21 Days tablet prevent me from STD and HIV?
No. Unwanted 21 Days cannot prevent the incidence and spread of STD and HIV. This is just a contraceptive. To safeguard yourself from STD, you should resort to other protections available.
Frequently Asked Questions and Answers
I am using unwanted 21 days tablet last 3years. I have no problem, but in this month I am not taking this medicine. Now I am again interested to take unwanted 21 days tablet. My query about in which day I start it?
You can restart Unwanted 21 tablets form the first day of your next Menstural Period, that is from the first day of bleeding and continue for 21 days.